Saturday, March 14, 2009

At the Library

I am a Children's Librarian Assistant. This just means I don't catalog or order books, and I don't have a master's or the pay of having a master's. It also means I get to work part time and not stress over being a supervisor over anyone. I love my job. I get to help plan storytimes, I get read every now again, I get to help people find books. It's so very satisfying when someone comes to the library and asks for a book with only a little memory of it. I once had a mother come to me and say, "My son loves a book, we've read it a hundred times but I have forgotten the title can you help?" I look excitedly and say, " Of course! What do you remember about the book?" She replies, "It has a mouse and he makes macaroni... that's all I can remember." With that very little to go on I begin searching by as many keywords I can think of. I then go to amazon.com and find as many ideas as I can. While in the midst she remembers bits more and I eventually find it using our good ol' friend google. It's really fun to pick a person's brain and search for something and then see them jump for joy and their face light up with grand delight as the book they so long searched for is now in the palms of their hands.What a great job!!

I'm also a Christian. I don't say that lightly, in fact, I don't think many people do. I am intentionally in my living out in the way I am convicted to based upon what Christ has done for me. I try to live gratefully, so often do I fall short. I recently found myself conflicted with ideals of Harry Potter. Okay, I know this stupid series has been mulled over by several hundred people and the debate has been out there for so long, but I just can't seem to find the right path on this. I work in the children's department of a library how can I not read them? I don't want to be so ignorant or bull headed that I don't become aware of the literature out there. However, I don't DON'T want to glorify magic or witchcraft in any way shape or form. How do I do my job to the best of my ability and not compromise in my convictions? How will be a good parent if I don't read first what my children want to read? How will I be a good teacher if I don't incorporate things children relate to? But how to stick to my morals and convictions all the whilst being "good" at everything I set out to do?

Ahh, the moral shakey ground on debate yet again. The world never stops turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment